Friday, August 30, 2013

Touch

Days went by when I didn't see The Boy.  The Woman came out to fill my bowl with table scraps, which I happily devoured.  There was hardly any meat in it, but it was food and I wasn't picky.  I noticed, however, that she looked at me differently and I realized I hadn't really seen her in a while.  She looked as if she had shed some weight herself.  Maybe, I thought, the man was not feeding her either.

She stood by as I licked my bowl clean and when I looked up at her I saw something in her eyes that made me ponder.  There was a hint of sadness in them.  Then she did something that startled me.  She knelt before me and reached her hand out.

Instinctively, I submitted and bowed my head.  Then I rolled onto my back, showing her that I wouldn't challenge her.  Involuntarily, I let out a whimper and shook as her hand stroked my belly.  My tail wagged in nervousness and apprehension.  It had been a long time since any of my humans had touched me in a kind way.  Frightful, I dared to look at her.  Her lips formed into a slow, soft smile.

"Good boy," she said softly.  Excitement wanted to explode out of me.  The last time I heard those words was when I was a pup.  Her hair was the color of sunlight and it swirled around her face as she looked down at me.  I couldn't understand the sadness that hid behind her smile and I wondered if she was sad because of me.

Maybe The Boy told her about the bunny I ate.  Could that be it? 

She continued to stroke my fur and I felt myself relax enough to lay on my side and close my eyes.  I didn't want it to end.  I felt so much beneath her fingers that it was as if a piece of her soul was slipping through them and into me.  So much sadness in her.  And love.  I felt the love she held for her children and it made me wonder if my own mother felt that way about me. 

It made me want my mother. 

It also made me wonder what was going on in their home to make both The Woman and The Boy sad, if it wasn't me.  And why did no one play outside?

Later, long after The Woman had gone, I told Daisy about this occurrence.  She seemed very curious about it and hoped it meant The Woman was going to take me inside their home.  I didn't like that idea because I felt myself growing very hopeful and I didn't want to be disappointed if she was wrong.

Before Daisy left, I asked her if she could feel her humans' souls.

She said yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;